Elegant Wild Rice Salad
Make this wonderful salad ahead and refrigerate. It's great the next day, when the flavors have had a chance to marinade. Serve with grilled salmon or chicken breasts for a delectable, healthy meal!
- 1 1/3 cups good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
(Or, to simplify the recipe, choose your favorite pre-made oil-based salad dressing.)
- 3 cups wild rice, cooked according to package directions and cooled to room temperature
- 2 6-oz jars marinated artichoke hearts, cut into halves
- 1 10-oz package frozen peas
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved, or grape tomatoes whole
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
Drain artichoke hearts reserving marinade. Toss together artichoke hearts, peas, pepper, onions, tomatoes, and avocados. Stir gently into rice. Add the artichoke marinade and 1/2 the dressing. Toss well and chill. Just before serving, add Parmesan cheese, nuts, and additional dressing to taste.
Have you caught on to the smoothie and juicing craze? Green drinks seem to be all the rage these days, and for good reason. When they're done the right way, without artificial sugars and
loaded with fruits and vegetables, these concoctions pack a nutritional wallop! Follow these steps to create your own nutritious, delicious smoothies in your blender at home.
- Start with about 2 cups of a non-dairy liquid like almond milk or coconut water in the blender.
- Add two handfuls of leafy greens, like spinach, kale, or swiss chard.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add about 2 cups of fruit (mix and match to suit your palate), such as bananas, peaches, apples, berries, pineapple, or avocado (yes, it's a fruit!). Using frozen fruit works beautifully and gives the final product a rich flavor and cool feel. Otherwise, add a few ice cubes if you like.
- Blend again until smooth.
- To super-charge the nutritional value of your drink, consider adding one or more of the following boosters and blend again:
- Protein powder
- Chia or hemp seeds
- Coconut or flax oil
- Raw chocolate (cacao nibs)
- Almond butter
Sip and enjoy as a meal replacement or healthy snack! If you find this is definitely for you, search the internet for "green smoothie" or "green juice" and you will discover a vast repertoire of recipes and information.